Emergency School Closings:
When a decision is made to close Suffolk Public Schools because of weather conditions, or to close a single school for other reasons, detailed information will be provided in the following places:
- Television stations … WVEC-13, WAVY-10, WTKR-3 … and their websites
- School Messenger … Automated phone calls with a recorded message will begin calling the homes of students and staff. The numbers called are based on the contact information stored in the division’s database.
- SPS Website …www.spsk12.net
- SPS Facebook … www.facebook.com/SuffolkVAPublicSchools/
- A recorded message will be available after hours at 925-6750.
Suffolk Public Schools will consider opening schools on a two-hour delay, due to inclement weather, hazardous conditions, power outages, or other emergency situations. Bus pick-ups for all students would begin either one hour or two hours later than normal pick-up times.
“Delayed Opening” means that any before-school child care will also open under the same delay. Elementary student early drop-off would be delayed until 10:30 a.m. Breakfast would not be served on either delayed opening schedule. Lunch would be served. Dismissal time and after-school activities would remain the same unless otherwise noted.